Your U of T Resource Finder
Skip to Content

I would like to organize a social event for students and members of the public that will include showing a movie or TV show, either for free or for a fee. Do I need a licence?

Yes. Because the social event is not primarily for University students, and the showing is for recreational purposes rather than for education or training, a licence will be required. It makes no difference whether or not an admission fee is charged.