Your U of T Resource Finder
Skip to Content

What kinds of charges are student societies permitted to levy to students?

Only non-tuition related incidental fees are permitted. These fees are defined in the Ministry Guidelines as a “non-tuition-related fee which is levied to cover the costs of items which are not normally paid for out of operating or capital revenue”.

In terms of physical spaces, that means co-curricular spaces, such as student activity space in a library, student lounges, theatre renovations, sports facilities, and so on. Classrooms and academic spaces in a library are tuition-related and their construction and refurbishment is to be paid for out of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities’ operating grant to the University.