Your U of T Resource Finder
Skip to Content

My student organization wants to host a movie night for U of T students and charge an admission fee. Do I need a licence?

Yes. Even if the audience is limited to students of the University, the event is being held for recreational purposes, not for educational or training, and a licence is therefore required. Charging an admission fee may also mean that the use is “for profit” or with a “motive of gain”, a further bar to reliance on the educational exceptions in the Copyright Act – especially if the total fees received are greater than the costs (including overhead) of the holding event.